Author Topic: FYI - Motel Keys  (Read 96 times)

Offline OLd_gUY

• SBD
    • View Profile
    • Bottom Line Tackle
FYI - Motel Keys
« on: August 03, 2017, 04:19:16 PM »
FYI - Motel Keys
This morning, I went to a brief talk about Identity Theft presented by our Sherriff’s Office.
I learned that the magnetic strip on a motel swipe key also contains your credit card and address info! News to me. Ever go to a resort where the waiter swipes your room key to charge you for the umbrella drink at the pool?
The recommendation was DO NOT turn them in, or leave them in the room when you check out. Take ‘em with you and when you get home, cut them up and put them in the trash. I guess you could cut them up and put them in the room trash just as easily.
While I’m at it, one thing I learned a while ago was not to cut an old credit card in half the short way. The card could be taped back together so the strip could be read. Rather, cut the long way, through the strip, and then sideways. Incidentally, anyone can buy a card reader off eBay, etc.
Paranoid? I call it being alert to one way to protect your hard earned bucks.
Besides, even paranoids have enemies!
"...a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke"

Offline martin

• Devil of an Admin
    • View Profile
Re: FYI - Motel Keys
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 07:23:23 AM »
Good stuff.  I usually just run them through my shredder when I get home.   

Offline SuperBallz

• SBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 12:37:28 AM »
I always cut my cards into tiny pieces then throw out half in one trash can and half in another.  separates them   :lk :lk

Offline SuperBallz

• SBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 01:50:23 AM »
Speaking of this, I noticed a charge on my credit card for 365 from tommy.com.  I was wondering if I forgot I bought something so I went to the site, friggen tommy Hilfiger.  I couldn't even fit in those clothes lol.  Odd timing for me to notice this thread lol